Monday, January 14, 2008

who is afraid of whom?

I recently watched someone particularly near and dear to my heart fall very recently. It wasn't fatal, but it was painful - for both of us. As forgiveness and love healed hearts, two scars were left on mine to remind me.

1. I don't pray enough, and I'm not moving in the authority of the name of Jesus like I should be. Once I regained perspective on the whole thing, and my husband reminded me we don't war against flesh and blood, I realized what the devil had done. I got mad, and I set about tearing asunder his pathetic little kingdom.

Then I remembered that I hadn't gotten mad at my enemy since the last time he did something like this, and it dawned on me that on any given day he is not that afraid of me. He should be; he has every reason to be, but as long as I remain lazy about my authority he's just not. Not okay. I want to live and breathe in God's presence and in the authority He's given me so much so that the devil doesn't dare attack those that I love.

I'll save the other one for tomorrow so this doesn't get outrageously long.

3 comments:

11101100 said...

Lex,

I think we can all say that we don't pray enough. Until I get to the point where I actually am praying continuously, I will not be praying enough.

"In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty"
Proverbs 14:23 ESV

Prayer is toil, not "mere talk." If you ever want to organize prayer meetings, please let me know, I will do whatever it is that I can to be there. I know there are more of us out there who feel the same way and are just looking for an excuse to jump in with others.

I do realize that my comment isn't entirely on track with what you are talking about (authority, warring for righteousness, etc), but it is a place to start. God has graciously given me Wednesdays off this semester, so I will be able to attend mid-week service again. Maybe we can get some people to stay for Harp & Bowl afterwards.

Titus

Lex said...

I've been day-dreaming of Wednesday evening Harp & Bowls lately ... Seriously.

11101100 said...

Word, just get Timmy or someone else, and we're good to go.