Thursday, January 03, 2008

button hole

I can't tell you how much I love having evenings off. CITW was closed yesterday due to the holiday, so there was no midweek service. I love the midweek services, but by the time I had updated the checkbook, zined an entire article, and eaten dinner with Timothy it was only 9 o'clock. Fantastic.

Having already spent most of the afternoon arguing with/crying at/pleading with the Lord I set my sights on my newly repaired sewing machine.

I'd been trying to do something like a fabric wrist cuff weeks ago when the button hole function refused to cooperate. I took it to my mom, and when she - the queen of quilting and all things otherwise sewn - couldn't get it to work, I knew it was dire. She'd taken it to someone to have a look-see, and had returned it to me Sunday evening.

When we sent it, we included a piece of fabric with failed button holes on it. When I pulled it out last night I noticed the same piece of fabric with four perfect button holes of all different sizes as if to say, "Look, it works. If you can't make button holes now it's your own fault."

I dug out the strip of fabric I'd stitched together some weeks prior, attached the proper presser foot, stitched down, across, up, and across, and voila - button hole! Not only did I gain a wrist cuff, I regained a bit of dignity I thought I'd lost at my inability to make a simple button hole.

Now the problem is I want to use my sewing machine and I have no more evenings off.

I found this amazing fabric at a resale store. I got almost a square yard for 25-cents. Sweet. You can't really see it in my almost-fuzzy photo, but there's some cute, red decorative stitching on there. The underside is a solid red fabric.



The button hole. It's blurry, but it's there.



It ended up being a little thinner than I would have liked, but Timothy found this big, red, plastic button laying around that fits perfectly inside the hem. I love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it does look like a cute fabric, i will pray God will deliver a new and better sewing machine so you can complete what you started in excellence and abundance, and time available to do so.

The Academy Against Apathy said...

we already have one we just need to learn how it works.

Tami said...

pretty sweet stuff, lex! brava.