Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Wash My Feet?

John 13:5-8//After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, "Lord, are You washing my feet?" Jesus answered and said to him, "What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this." Peter said to Him, "You shall never wash my feet!"

Never! Oh I know You love me and I understand the example You're setting, but please don't do this thing! Wasn't it enough to breathe life into me? To disrobe Yourself of divine glory and forever take on the form of a man? To resist every temptation, knowing that I would give in to so many of the slightest? To spend days bleeding? "Eli, Eli lama sabachthani?!" Wasn't that enough?!

Because it was all done at a distance, but I couldn't bear to see You hold my feet in Your wounded hands. I couldn't bear to sit at a table while You serve.

Peter got it: "Not just my feet, Lord..." and good for him, but my response is not so wise. I would have cried. I would have begged You not to do it. When You tell me what's at stake I would have hesitated to consider the options, because I don't deserve to have any part of You - least of all at the cost of You kneeling before me. You who are so beautiful...

Renew my mind, Lord! I know You're right and Your ways are perfect, but my soul recoils at the idea! Renew my mind, because I don't understand how You love.

No comments: