Thursday, June 15, 2006

Harp & Bowl

I learn so much during Wednesday night Harp & Bowl sessions. Last night's curriculum included:

1. Sacrifice of praise. It's a phrase we throw around a lot and I know (if anyone's reading this) most of us understand how praise can be a sacrifice, so I won't go into the sermon. I was so tired last night, though, and my flesh really wanted to cancel the whole thing and go home after the service. It's wonderful, though, because as we prove ourselves faithful the Holy Spirit takes us further every time.

2. I don't have a healthy fear of God. I don't know how long I just sang, "You are the Lord God Almighty and besides You there is no other (Isaiah)," trying to make it real to my spirit.

I'm so used to hearing about Jesus, the jealous lover; the Bridegroom who gave absolutely everything to be with me. That's true and too glorious for words, but the Father is the same yesterday, today and forever. He's passionate for my heart, but He's also a righteous judge and a righteous judge is not ruled by His emotions.

This is my latest prayer for me - and for my generation, because I know I'm not the only one who has put God in a box. If the oxen stumble, how many of us would casually reach back and lay a hand on the Ark to steady it?

Holy Spirit, cause a fear of the Lord to fall on the young people in America! In a nation with fish on every bumper, churches on every corner, and "God Bless" on our favorite idol, would you shake us? Take away everything that hinders love and ignite a passion in our hearts for the Refiner's fire! In Jesus' mighty name.

1 comment: