Thursday, December 06, 2007

ramey whalen

At the risk of looking like a total hippy ... I love this song:

This was the last worship team at TheCall in Nashville this summer. I sent countless emails and posted on dozens of message board to try to find out who this was and never heard anything from anyone. In the end, it was a random YouTube suggestion: Ramey Whalen.

Whether or not you subscribe to your local drum circle, you can't tell me these lyrics aren't amazing:

" ... my soul is water from the purest well, hear me heaven, hear me hell; My dance carries thunder from the throne of Yah, look at me and know He is God ... Let our praises rise like a weapon in Your hand; Let our praises rise, oh God ... God of eternity, wonders and majesty; God of creation, ancient, alive in me; God of all nations, uncharted galaxies; God Who is Spirit, alive in me ..."

(Also consider it was the end of a 14 hour day of prayer that took place under a Tennessee sun in July. Those you see dancing are, literally, happy to have survived the day.)

What really amazes me is the revelation behind those lyrics. My voice affects the nations, heaven and hell hear me. My worship thunders - it's a weapon ... for real. We know that, but I wonder if we get it. Is that how we see ourselves? Do I see myself going to battle at the beginning of a worship set?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so i finally got some internet access where i ALSO have speakers and these guys rock!

The Academy Against Apathy said...

Ok these guys Rock but the Bass player rocks my cotton Socks off CAUSE HE'S PLAYING A ROSCOE BECK FIVE STRING WITH FULL SONIC ASSAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


ahem....we're in the same club. It's totally exclusive.

Tami said...

your hubby sent me a link to this a few weeks ago...well, a link to another guy who was at the Call, but this was another suggestion from youtube, like you said. i watched it then, and felt the same way you did. so i guess we can be neo-hippies together. let's join niamhy in her 21st Century Jesus People Movement! Christ is groovy.

(timothy's gots lotsa clubs)

courtneyonfire said...

i was here at the call I love thi song... the day before ramey sang in the parking lot with like 10 people it was so great... you should check out theramp.org it is an awesome website of the people who put the call together! god bless