Wednesday, December 12, 2007

cards

It's been an enlightening few days, these past few days. I don't even know if I could articulate all of the little life lessons that seem to have taken root in my heart over the past few days, but I'm sure if I could I'd be right up there with Solomon. It's a drastic overstatement - for effect - but I feel the weight of something lately; spiritual growing-pains perhaps.

Which I think is why Solomon lost it in the end. I'm willing to bet that the weight of wisdom became a burden pretty quickly. Wisdom is a responsibility.

Not that any tremendous wisdom is the weight on me right now, but I've gained some (because I asked for wisdom, and He gives it abundantly) and digesting it is a task. 'Cause once you've got it you have to decide what to do with it, and that's the hard part.

(Warning: Musing) Which is interesting because our culture makes wisdom the goal - the end prize of a lifetime of study and experience. To God, however, wisdom is the beginning. He's got all the wisdom and He'll give you as much as you can ask for, but will He be so quick to show you what to do with it? Because that's where spiritual growth really comes from, isn't it? In prayerfully deciding when to speak and when to shut up, what to say when it's time to speak, and how to gracefully keep quiet when it's time to shut up, whom to speak to, and what is just between you and God forever. When are you being wise, and when are you being prideful? When are you being humble, and when are you being false? Why is it that every bit of wisdom that answers a prayer seems to be laden with personal insights too?


To escape the life lessons I've been working on Christmas cards. I really didn't think this would be a project that ever got completed, but it looks like it might. I've made almost enough for everyone on my who-would-be-offended-if-they-didn't-get-a-card list.



2 comments:

Nathaniel Dame said...

Just so you know, I wouldn't be offended... Simba might be though. (Yes, the kitten.)

Tami said...

I know, I'm kinda like, "Gee, I hope I am and I hope I'm not on that list." I certainly would love to receive one of those beautious cards, but I don't want Lex to think I'd be offended if I didn't get one. Quelle dilemma. Oh well! It's not my dilemma. Ha ha ha! (Yes, I fancy myself a comedienne.)