Monday, September 24, 2007

i love proverbs?

I love how the Lord never answers prayer the way you expect Him to.

Lately I've been asking for wisdom. God says if you need it, and you ask, He gives it liberally. I definately need it. I don't know how to minister to teenagers. I don't know how to lead a worship team, and there's a lot about being a wife that I'm still pretty terrible at.

At the same time, all of the above are so much on my heart that it hurts often times. I pray and I pray for the Lord to move on behalf of my teenagers, on my behalf, and for my husband ... but I know there are situations and seasons that I need to grow in and through. I know the Lord is not going to do it all for me all the time. So I need wisdom: abundant wisdom.

So do you know what He did? He set my heart toward Proverbs. I was never inclined to spend much time in Proverbs. For a half-dozen reasons it was never on my Bible favorites list. Recently, though, I can't get enough of it. I'm on my second read through it, and planning the third and fourth. It's color-coded; there are coding symbols in the margins. I love it. It's weird, but it's an answer to prayer.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Proverbs: the best daily devotional/study book I've ever seen. 31 Proverbs/31 days in a month. pretty rad.

11101100 said...

The verse that is impacting my life more than almost any amount of other verses combined is in Proverbs.

It's Proverbs 1:23. It teaches you how to hear the voice of God*. If we are His sheep, and His sheep know His voice, we had better make sure we know what He sounds like. How else will we know Him? His voice and His Word (read: Jesus) seem to be deeply connected. It just gets deeper and deeper.

- Titus

*I understand too about it being Wisdom personified; however, I don't believe this is taking the verse out of context. Upon request there can be an explanation.