Friday, September 14, 2007

enthroned

I've had Psalm 22:3 stuck in my head for days. It's a strange thing to have a scripture verse stuck in your head 'cause it's not like it has a musical hook to it or anything ... well, I suppose some do, but not this one.

But You are holy,
Enthroned in the praises of Israel.

Pretty basic, and one that a lot of people know. I've been thinking about it, though, almost against my will. This, again, may be one of those posts where everyone goes, "Duh," but I think it's because the subject requires more meditation than reading.

1. If you start at verse one, verses three through five seem totally out of place. Most of Psalm 22 is David having one of those, "the world's against me and I can't find You" moments. In verse two he talks about how he's in trouble and God isn't listening, but ... It's as though David, in the midst of his complaining, has this revelation ... "But ..."

2. If this one, single verse were to repeat over and over and over again in your head, you'd start to wonder at how it seems to contradict itself, all ten words of it. How do you go from "You are holy" to "enthroned in the praises of Israel?" Why on earth would a holy God have so much to do with the worship of weak, broken people? (Love.)

3. "Enthroned." Some translations use "sit" or "inhabit," but I was listening to a sermon the other day wherein the speaker has done her research and gives the definition of the original word used. I wish I could quote it, but all I remember is "sit - as to govern." "Enthroned" is a good word.

Enthroned for goodness' sake. Think about that. God's going, "Yes, I want to set up My government and My authority and My kingdom on the earth, and it will happen when you worship Me." He sits on His throne, He takes His place as King of kings and Lord of lords, He establishes His authority, He rules when we ("spiritual Israel") worship Him. Not when we sing songs and hold our hands in the air - when we worship.

So (if I can just go ahead and give the exhortation this Friday morning), if we need God to move in our lives, we worship. If we need His authority over a situation, we worship. If we want to see His will be done in our families, our communities, our schools, we worship. Yes, we pray, give, fast ... but He takes up His position of ultimate authority in our lives when we worship.

Which is why - just a thought - every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord when He comes back. His return will inspire the whole earth to worship Him for who He is, and He will take up His position of ultimate authority over the whole earth.

No comments: