Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Global Expeditions

I got to spend last Saturday (all of last Saturday) at a Global Expeditions leadership training ... thing ("seminar" sounds lame, "class" doesn't do it justice). What a good time.

First of all I learned a ton. Communicating vs. speaking, confrontation, etc. Good stuff, even just for our youth ministry 'cause teenagers are teenagers regardless of what country you put them in. Can I get an "Amen?"

Secondly, I really want to go to Thailand. There was this little table tent sitting in front of me for 10 hours with cute kids and a story from Thailand. Our India trip this year is not through Global Expeditions, but I'd like to go with them at least once, I think. The project director that was working with our break-out group asked if I would like to be a team leader this summer. If only I didn't have to work. I really need to find someone who wants to sponsor a CITW youth leader - just pay my salary so I can bring teenagers and Jesus together full time. If you're interested ...

Best of all is that I have a good understanding of Global Expeditions now, and much respect for the organization. I've heard a lot of horror stories about kids who have gone on missions trips that turned out to be a lot more like vacations - or even service trips. Building houses is nice, but if no one gives his/her life to Jesus at the end of the day you've done a great injustice. GE is all about having a good time, but they understand the gravity of their work as well. I like 'em.

No comments: