Friday, November 16, 2007

contest

I found a contest I'm going to take a stab at. The challenge is to answer the question, "What makes a Christian different from anyone else?" Completely cheesy, I know - imagine the pain I went through drying to draft a not completely cheesy answer in under 1000 words.

I'm not going to post the whole thing 'cause I think if I have any readers left after the last one I'll lose them too. The last three paragraphs are below. The running theme was to start each paragraph with a simple statement - one that usually contradicted the previous statement. I did "...is dead," "... is alive," "... is a slave," "... is royalty," and "... knows Love." Anyway, here's the end - let me know what you think:

A Christian is a revolutionary, a soldier of the resistance whose weapons are Prayer and Purity. A Christian is one who recognizes the spirit of the age, who knows the truth about the prince that has invaded her lands, and whose hope believes in the return of her King. A Christian is one who refuses to bow to idols of Greed, Corruption, Lust, and Selfishness. She is one determined to stand against the raging current of Bondage in the name of Liberties, Unbelief in the name of Harmony, and Death in the name of Life because she knows that if enough will stand a dam will form and all the gates of hell shall not prevail against them!

A Christian prays because he knows that prayer moves the heart of God and strikes fear into the darkest depth of hell. A Christian worships her Lord without fear or shame because Love has overcome those things within her. A Christian gives of his time and resources because he understands he is only a steward of what God has given him in this life. A Christian studies God’s Word because it is her sword in battle, a lamp to her feet, and sweeter than honey on her lips.

A Christian is altogether not of this world. He is light in a dark place, joy in sadness, and hope in despair. He holds the truth in a world of lies, and comfort in a world of pain. He is free from the mistakes of his past, and sure of a glorious future.

5 comments:

KnowYourGod said...

excellent composition, it reminds me of st. francis of asisi's famous prayer.

Guh-ruh-ay-eh-suh: said...

wunderbar

I Ravish His Heart said...

Excellent, but just to help you out, I am no english scholar, but during the "essay" you refer to the christian as her, which is completely fine, but after you refer to the christian as a guy and then go back to a girl. Just tryin to help.

Guh-ruh-ay-eh-suh: said...

yeah, they do that in "Battlecry..." and i think it's just a way of relating to both sexes w/o sounding too pc and lame

The Academy Against Apathy said...

It's intentional folks, my wife is brilliant in Christ Jesus. Just the way God made her.