Monday, April 09, 2007

worship

Where do the weekends go? I have all kinds of pictures - but not right now - and stories to go with them. In the meantime, I read this last night and went *gasp!*

Jehova is talking to Israel about their polluted, half-hearted-at-best offerings that He's not having anything to do with, and He says, (Malachi 1:10) "Who is there even among you who would shut the doors, so that you would not kindle fire on my altar in vain?" He's so unhappy with their religious, bored offerings that He doesn't even want it. Just close the temple and go home.

So if we are living sacrifices (Romans 12:1) and our worship is our offering (Hebrews 13:15), I wonder how the Lord feels about what goes on in this country on Sunday mornings. So many people go to church and stand during worship out of obligation, with the idea that God will honor their commitment. That if they do their part, He'll do His.

There are even some who want to go, but don't give their best when they get there. I've done that. There have been times when I'm tired, but I stand and sing the songs and lift my hands and direct a bit of heart toward the Lord. In verse 14, Malachi communicates a curse from the Lord on those who have a male in their flock but come to the temple, say a vow, and sacrifice a blemished animal. But isn't that what we're doing when we gather for worship but resist the urge to lift our hands or dance or kneel? Isn't that what we're doing when we gather for worship and sing the songs while we think about where to have lunch that afternoon?

Verse 14 uses the word "cursed." That's strong language. God's not interested in me doing my part, fulfilling my obligation, or singing a song. If that's all we're going to do, He'd rather we close the doors and sleep in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have said this to you before, but again, you really should talk to Tim K. and ask to preach on worship for a few weeks... i think it would really help the group grow

Lex said...

I'm going to be speaking in May while he's gone. Perhaps I'm being prepped ...

I Ravish His Heart said...

That's a lto like what i said on my blog anad the crazy thing is that i hadn't read this until now.