Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Pastor Appreciation



October is Pastor Appreciation Month. Did you know that? Do you appreciate your pastor? Do you have a pastor? If not, I'll share mine with you; I got a good one. (And I can post this now because he's in Nepal and likely will never read it. Ha ha.)

You don't really appreciate a good pastor unless you've had a bad one. I've had a bad one, so if it seems like a blasphemous thing to say - trust me, they're out there (the Lord addresses them specifically in Ezekiel 34). It's hard, after having an "irresponsible shepherd" to trust another Pastor, so believe you me, I was skeptical at first. It's been about two years now, and he's good. Let me count the ways:


1. I appreciate his heart for his work. He could just as easily subscribe to a service that would generate sermons for him, show up during office hours and Sunday mornings, and say whatever statistics show will grow a church. He doesn't do that, though. He searches out the word that the Lord would have him speak; he's there on Saturday nights praying for the service the next morning. I've heard him say things from the platform that made me think, "Well, church attendance will be down next week," just because it was the right thing to say.

2. I appreciate that he doesn't make excuses or offer false appologies for his decisions. He does what he feels he needs to do with or without the approval of men.

3. I appreciate that he lets other people use and develop the gifts God has put inside of them. He does not micro-manage the affairs of the church, and he's not intimidated by guest speakers.

4. I appreciate that he's not an old wineskin, which goes right along with, "I appreciate his modeling of obedience." He changes with the Spirit. If the room that was set aside to be the bookstore becomes the prayer room, then it becomes the prayer room. If he's called to Nepal but doesn't really want to go, then he goes to Nepal.

5. I appreciate the council - that he gathers church leaders around himself to set up a mini checks and balances system, so that he can't even sign a church check alone.

6. I appreciate his counselling method. He's there to talk to you, advise you, help you out ... but if you refuse to work through a situation and really just want a shoulder to cry on, he's not having it. I kinda cried at him over the phone one late evening, and he does very well.

7. I appreciate his family. Tami's just a doll and so much fun and a great worship leader and good counsel. Liam is a sweetie who can make you feel like the coolest person on earth. Sean is too cute; I recently discovered that if I'm having a bad day I can call Seany (i.e. Tami b/c Seany is three, I think) and feel a thousand times better hearing, "You my buddy Miss Wex." And Naimh is just precious - even screaming or belching.

So Happy Pastor Appreciation Month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooo! this is so sweet!! i feel totally appreciated. (is that taboo, post-appreciation month?)