Wednesday, October 18, 2006

looking forward to the inevitable...

... because you might as well.

What I like about autumn:

1. Leaves - obviously, everyone likes that about autumn. Especially people who live in apartments and don't have to rake leaves.

2. Hot apple cider. Best beverage ever - mark my words.

3. Pulling out sweaters for the first time in a while. By winter I wish I was in t-shirts again, but at least for fall sweaters are still nice. This goes for gloves, hats, scarves, etc.

4. Thanksgiving. Turkey and naps and pumpkin pie. Mm hmm.


5. Mums. I'd rake leaves if it meant I had a yard for mums, but I enjoy everyone else's.

6. Getting an extra hour of sleep for Daylight Savings Time.

7. Soup! Ya, you can have soup in spring and summer, but its really much better in autumn. Panera Bread makes a fabulous black bean soup. I need to learn how to make soup this fall.

8. Trail of History. Its this event that goes down at Glacier Park north of McHenry, and its just really cool. Timothy doesn't care for it, but he takes me anyway. My favorite vendors are the people who make rootbeer and the people who make fresh kettle corn.

9. Bugs die. Stupid misquitoes.


10. Harvest. Come fall everyone with a garden has a kitchen counter full of yummy tomatoes and carrots and zucchini. Its nice to go out and reap the fruits of your labors, and I like the slow process of harvesting seeds for next year, freezing/canning the extra ... Apple orchards are fun too (see #2 above). I like to think that the Lord plans accordingly for the season as well - its been my expereince that He gets a kick out of things like that. This year especially I'm choosing to believe it because there are a few other things I'd like to harvest soon.

Did I forget anything?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

couldn't agree more! especially about the mums and the cider!!! yum.