Friday, September 01, 2006

Musing

The scripture verse that's taped to my monitor today is 1 Corinthians 1:25, "Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men." I read that this morning and paused for a moment over "the weakness of God."

In India I gave a message to 800 stoic, steeped-in-tradition Indian teenagers and young adults on the burning, violently passionate heart of God. At one point I was trying to paint the picture of a mighty King whose enemies tremble before Him because He never loses a battle, the guy every man wants to be, who somehow gets butterflies in His stomach over this one particular woman. The point being, of course, that Christ is that King and you are that woman (even if you're a man - it's symbolism, come on). After I'd tried to build up the image of the Man that no one can beat or even touch, whom no one can figure out, with no apparent fine print or catch or weakness I mentioned His bride again and told them, "You are his weakness! You are the thing that softens the heart of the King of kings!"

My intent was not to imply, of course, that God is weak, or that the affection He created a person out of and for will in any way sway His ultimate ruling as the Righteous Judge. My husband pointed out that evening, though, that I hadn't attached that disclaimer during the message. The Lord knows I wasn't calling Him weak, and I petitioned forgiveness if I led anyone to that end.

Then I read 1 Corinthians 1:25 this morning and thought, "Even if I had called Him weak, his weakness is stronger than our strength." If there was any truth in my previous oration, then, His love for you is stronger than you.
There's nothing you can do or say or think or believe that would convince Him to not love you. His love for you is stronger than you.

1 comment:

KnowYourGod said...

Really I pray Pastor lets you preach this to our Church, it is a timely word that needs to ring in our ears and you truly have a deep revelation of the love of Christ.