Tuesday, September 26, 2006

pray for pope

Again, I love Muslims - lovely people, really. I like peace, and believe with my whole heart in freedom of religion. Truth does have commentary on each of these topics, though:

1. Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)

2. But when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be troubled; for such things must happen, but the end is not yet. (Mark 13:7)

3. ...that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Phillipians 2:10-11)

I was reading another inspiring story about pope yesterday and the following struck me,
Benedict touched on religion and violence, saying Christians and Muslims “must learn to work together ... to guard against all forms of intolerance and to oppose all manifestations of violence.”

Now, of course, I'm not promoting religious violence, but my first thought was this sarcastic picture of pope and the radical Islamic population standing together to guard the world from Jesus when He returns. Ha. It's funny, but it's not.

Because really, by definition, Jesus can be pretty intolerant. Look at the way he talked to the Pharisees - not very respectful, and I do seem to recall something about his destroying a market that was set up in His Father's house - sounds like their religious convictions were not the same as His. Read through Isaiah - God is constantly telling him, "I alone am God and besides Me there is no other." Doesn't sound very tolerant to me. He's merciful, which is not the same thing, and He's the righteous judge.

Let's not forget, also, He is coming back to first wage war on His enemies. Isaiah 63 is very vivid in that regard.

Again, I'm not promoting violence, because only Jesus is qualified to judge. I am however, encouraging you to get your heart in the right place, make sure you're on the right side before it's too late, and generally: brace yourself, because clearly the church is not ready.

No comments: