Friday, September 08, 2006

Wanted:

I am struggling with our youth worship ministry, and it's starting to just get annoying.

We need to have a repetoire of more than five songs, but new songs are so hard to find. Where are all the good worship teams lead by women? And how do I get their lead sheets? All the kids want to do is Hillsong United, and I love United but I'd like to do more. There has to be more good worship music out there - not to mention most of their vocalists are men and sing out of my range. I admit I'm picky about songs (the lyrics need to be encouraging and Biblical, the music should be good and mostly upbeat), but I'm not unreasonable.

My only option, then is to write my own, and I don't know if it keeps coming to mind because I can't find another way out or because I'm being prompted. I think I have it in me, but I have no time to sit in front of my piano and mull over lyrics and chords. I've tried to think about lyrics while I'm doing other stuff, but my mind's relatively engaged all day in percents and dollar signs. Then I end up with a chorus that stands alone forever because I can't get around to putting the rest of a song around it. Ugh.

But, in other news, He met me again. The long wait is over - hallelujah. He must have known the frustration mixed with boredom was about to become toxic, and stepped in just in time to save the day. Knowing that I can quietly request His presence at any time is getting me through right now.
He's the bread of life, after all; that's all I need.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I understand the frustration of finding good worship songs for sure. If you like Misty Edwards, all of her chord charts are on her new CD. Also, I have just discovered Vicky Beeching who's lyrics are definitely provoking and she has that pop edge like United. If you search them out, you can find her chord charts online. For a little more intimate worship look to Rita Springer. She's one of my favorites. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

tell me about it, lex. tell me about it! :) especially the part about trying to find time to finish a song that you start writing (or just get inspiration for). i've been boo-hoo'ing to God about that one for a while, yet i know i have it in me to write. kind of goes in streaks right now.