Monday, November 03, 2008

grace meets truth

I think I missed an opportunity last night. Sitting at dinner with my family, my dad asked if we got ourselves registered to vote at our new address in time. We did. "How will you be voting, then?"

I caved.

I saw my very liberally-minded, non-Christian younger brother sitting next to me out of the corner of my eye and thought about how I was going to text him today to see if we could get together for a bit after work. I got intimidated at the divisive nature of politics, and at the fear of alienating him and voiding anything I'd say to him for weeks ... I just shrugged off the question.


And I drove home really disappointed in myself.


I drove home really disappointed that I couldn't just say I'd be voting against Obama, and let the Holy Spirit do the job of ministering to my brother.

I drove home disappointed that I couldn't just say, "I'm not excited about McCain - I don't believe he'll do much for our nation - but I'm voting against Obama because as charismatic as he is, he's only been in national politics for two years, and in those two short years he's earned one of the most liberal voting records in the Senate. He even voted against outlawing partial-birth abortion.

"He's never served in the military, and I don't believe for a minute that he has any respect for that uniform.


"He's a Marxist. He has so many new programs and so many tax cuts planned he doesn't seem to realize that one plus one doesn't equal nine.


"He has questionable ties and assocations that no one is allowed to ask about or research. He's hiding something about Harvard. He's (along with the L.A. Times) hiding something about Israel.


"And his wife freaks me out."


So there. At least I got to say it to you I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the united states political system is ....a bit...um...how can i put this?

well you know.

it is there to manipulate the public.

um i mean rip off...um..i mean control and use and confuse...

yeah. ok.

maybe i can talk about this later.