Saturday, October 25, 2008

what was I thinking?

I finished a great book for work recently called It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It by Craig Groeschel. Good book. Highly recommend it ... if you're in ministry.

At the end of the book Craig shares three simple prayers he's been praying for years. I thought they sounded really good, and I probably got a little competitive. "If Craig can pray it, I can pray it."

Anything you can do I can do better.

I don't even remember all three now. I meant them when I prayed them. I weighed the risks - albeit briefly - of praying them, but you know: you're there in the moment and you've convinced yourself that you really do want to be everything God has for you to be no matter what the cost. And you're feeling bold and strong and as though you really can do all things through Christ.

It's like Holy Spirit sometimes masks sanity temporarily so we'll put ourselves in His path of loving destruction.

I was there. So when I say I weighed the risks ... I did it in a spirit of amazing faith. Which, now, seems to have eased up on me, having accomplished it's mission.

The one I remember was "Stretch me."

Timothy and I were talking about circumstances and situations recently and I remembered that prayer.

Me: "I asked God to stretch me."
Husband: "Without telling me?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post. really good stuff. Craig writes great stuff. Cool blog, diggin it.

Lex said...

Hey, Brewster. Glad you're digging the blog.