Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Advent Day 17

Gay Group Organizes 'Pink Christmas' in Amsterdam

I debated about posting this.

It bothers me that Christians are known - in our society - for what we are against. It bothers me that people associate negative images more often than images of love and compassion. I try not to go there.


But you know what? Jesus is against some things. He's not against people, but He's against sin. He died to pry people (whom He's not against) from sin (which He is against).

I'm not against people. The Bible
says that everyone sins. I'm not holier than thou. I am against sin, though - in your life and mine - because God is.

And I realize there are people who will read this as "Blah blah blah blah God hates fags blah blah blah." That's not true - and that's not what I'm saying - but I know that some people are just so bitter and hurt and broken that that's all they'll hear.

I can't tailor my voice around people who cling to sin, though. Jesus didn't.

So I don't hate these people, but what they're doing bothers me.


The festival features "a manger stall with two Josephs and two Marys." The event "intends to increase the range of options for homosexual men and women during the Christmas holiday week."


Increase the range of options? Options? For Christmas? Does the idea - forget that it's focusing on homosexuals - seem strange to anyone else? We need options for Christmas now?

Your option is whether or not to celebrate Christmas.
If you don't want to celebrate Christmas, there are other options. Winter Solstice. Hanukkah. Eid. You could even just go secular "Christmas" and just do Santa Claus and stockings and that whole bit.

I understand the desire for equal rights. I understand fighting against stereotypes that tend to invalidate your lifestyle. This I don't understand. Set up a nativity scene with two Josephs? That's just not how it happened. That's where you move from remembering and celebrating the holiday, to imposing your views and distorting the truth just because it makes you more comfortable or makes some sort of statement you can rally behind.


Advent is a time to anticipate His coming. These days that we're living in are to prepare us for His return. These are times for me to mold myself into His image, not the other way around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a good reminder of how we all distort the truth to make it more comfortable for ourselves.

Lex said...

Ya. I think just about everyone does it, but - of course - it's easier to see in other people.