Thursday, June 05, 2008

following



(Go here.)


Unrelated:
It's been Lessons in Leadership for me this week. Most recently, in the art of following.

Because you can't have authority until you learn to submit to authority, right? The wonderful cycle of submitting to authority and using authority just never ends. I can honestly say that being in a leadership role has probably made me a much better follower.

And the lessons in following have extended to others recently. Not just any "others," either (that rolls off the tongue, huh?) - some of my dearest others. Which has had me really mulling and praying over it for days. I've come to one conclusion, so here it is, my be-a-good-follower tip of the day:

Philippians 2:14//Do all things without complaining or disputing.

That's not a heavy-handed order. I really think that's the call to discipleship and servanthood (which is what this whole thing is about anyway). If we're serving God, then we're serving the people He puts over us, and I think our relationships with those people should be marked by Philippians 2:14. Joke, suggest, emote, share, muse ... just don't complain and don't argue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post because this is something we see so incredibly often...complaining. Please give my kids your advice and I will be a very happy person. :)